JOIN THE TEAM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Current Open Positions
Are you interested in youth development, advocacy, and education?
Banteay Srei is looking for a temporary consultant to support our dynamic work and hold space for our youth. Banteay Srei is an Oakland nonprofit dedicated to empowering young Southeast Asian (SEA) women and girls who were, are being, or are at risk of becoming commercially sexually exploited (CSE). We achieve this through creating a safe space; infused with social support, community building and skills based learning. We provide case management; this includes one to one work, advocacy and effective sign posting.
The program supports the learning/prevention with opportunities for the youth to be exposed to a number of topics including; teen dating violence workshops, leadership skills, youth feminist education, dance, drama and healing activities. All our programs are geared towards working with victims/survivors, and are culturally specific so this post would necessitate the applicant to have some understanding of this intersection.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Program Manager, the individual will conduct outreach to SEA and other Asian American women and girls and help them access reproductive health care, coordinate and facilitate leadership and young women’s health programs. The individual will also provide health education or prevention activities with the SEA community that may include presentations, workshops, and health fairs tabling as well as working in collaboration with community partners.
The following are some of the duties of this consultant position:
- General responsibilities
- Materials Development and Translation
- Program duties include:
- Youth Services: outreach to young SEA girls. Working with 2-4 SEA youth the individual will implement Banteay Srei weekly youth leadership program. Facilitate weekly SREI and SAUCE program which includes cultural celebration activities such as cooking together and storytelling; and
- Community Relationships: establish critical community relationships such as creating and nurturing a strong relationship with Oakland High School Wellness Center, Roosevelt Middle School, Asian Health Service Youth Program, WestCoast children’s Clinic and other relevant agencies by establishing a referral system that works with young SEA women and girls in Oakland
- Other duties as necessary
This is a consultant position, requiring 15-20 hours per week to complete these responsibilities. In addition to business hours, the individual should be flexible to work some evening and weekends too.
Qualifications: minimum education requirement is community college/university bachelor’s degree or a commensurate level of experience. Also – work experience in a related program area or health field is preferred
Additional preferred experience:
- Experience with working in the SEA community, to community health care with familiarity with community health clinics.
- Experience with youth is seen as a bonus, including; youth organizing
- Knowledge of Oakland and Chinatown area.
This opportunity would benefit someone interested in anti – sexual exploitation work with an emphasis on culturally-specific solutions. This consultant position offers great opportunities to develop transferable skills such as budgeting, administration, and case management. The applicant should be able to demonstrate how to advocate for vulnerable minors and support them.
The consultant position will be located at The Spot; 299 13th Street
Salary range; $20 – 22 an hour
Opening date: immediately
Closing date: approximately August – with the potential for extension.
Banteay Srei encourages women of color, from the SEA and/or LGBTQ community to apply.